"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."
~ Joseph Campbell ~

"God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine."
~ David Nicholas ~

"It’s often in the dark of night where light is most breathtakingly magnificent. Jesus, thank You for being the light..."
~ Lysa TerKeurst ~

"Just as each snowflake is unique, so is every child."
~ Carol Andews ~

Welcome to Holland This will give the background as to why I call this blog, Holland.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Just a stay at home mom?


It's amazing how many moms feel condemned for either working or staying at home. Society always says that if the woman doesn't work, she's lazy, making her man do all the work, old fashioned, etc. Really? What makes you say that? Is it because she isn't raking in the money? So in light of seeing the following pic on Facebook, here is what I have to say to that.



Let me give our story. I worked summer jobs starting when I was 14 and consistently since I was 16. I planned on going to college. I wanted to go with a music major and teach band just like my grandfather did. Things didn't happen that way. I did indeed go to college, though on student loans. I racked up debt but it was what it was. I did what I had to. I wound up with an associates degree in early childhood education. I was working at a daycare full time by this point. I also worked juvenile corrections then working at a shelter for foster kids.
Then my daughter was born. 

I then learned truly how much childcare would be for her. THEN figuring I had that planned out, BOOM! We got her first diagnosis. It was then I decided that being a stay at home mom was the best course. Seven and a half years later and I still am one. And I now have my son here as well. "Why don't you go back to work already?" I have been asked in the past. Well first of all, that's the decision of my husband and I. For two, yeah sometimes I wish I could.
I will share why I wish I could first. First of all, sometimes I would like out of the house too. Think I get to do whatever I want when I want? I wish!! I wish sometimes that I was bringing in money as well. It would loosen up the budget by a lot if I was and maybe then, just maybe I could go out and do what most people I know in this area can do. I can have real date nights with my husband, I could if ever invited, go out with some girls and have lunch or whatever like that. I could participate in PTO stuff the school does and I could get my kids what they really want for Christmas. I could also once a year do a real vacation. Those don't happen though. So yeah, sometimes I really do wish I worked. But for what? Simply for money? Simply for feeling "worthy" because I work? Simply because society says I have to?

You know what though? As much as I struggle sometimes not wanting what others have, the friends others have or being able to do what they can, here is what makes it all worth it.

Besides, someone has to do all of the appointments and advocating for the kids.
lol

And that people, is more then a full time job by itself. And I'm blessed for it.




Besides, isn't it more important to make an impact for others instead of seeing what stuff you can do and get for others? Though making the estimated 140,000 a year would be really nice. However, I get paid a different way. And besides, being paid like that we would lose the secondary insurance the kids have and we would really be in trouble then.... Not to mention all of the taxes owed.... But that's a whole different topic for another day.  


"Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal."Matthew 6:20



So there you have it.
~ Special Momma ~

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you from another stay-at-home wife and mom. You will never regret your decision to do this. Prayers sent for all of you.

    ReplyDelete